Friday, February 20, 2015

Rights and Responsibilities and Fort Langley by Eleanor

Right now I am talking about rights and responsibilities. I'll tell you the difference of this rights and responsibilities at this talk show. Wait, who said this was a talk show? I didn't even know it was a talk show.

Back to the point. A right is something that you SHOULD be able to have and do. Like you have the right to take out books from the library, but you have the responsibility to bring them back and take care of them. or, you have the right to be free and play on the playground, but you have the responsibility to pick up garbage on it and not leave garbage on it,  and also not climb over the fence, and follow the rules.



I went to Fort Langley,  and I played a piano and I wore some really cool old fashioned clothes, and I played Heart and Soul on the piano. I am in the Big House.


The Big House is the place where the guy in the big blue coat (who I am dressed up as, you can see in the picture) Gov James Douglas, he's declaring that British Columbia was a province - they were clinging to the rest of Canada, like a bug, like a moth to a wool sweater. I read the proclamation declaring BC a province.



Sorry my Mum cut off the gold in this picture but I got gold!!!!! Two whole great pieces Mister! That was where the gold rush was and I went crazy for gold!!!


This is Hazel with me in this picture, she is a very nice First Nations oman and she loved my bunny and it was really nice meeting her, she showed me how to make a barrel. And I really really liked it.

I asked Hazel about the rights and responsibilities of the kids who were at Fort Langley back when it started. We learned there were no schools, all of the kids did work, but they didn't carry yokes, man, I wanted to carry a yoke. There were no white kids there, because all of the white men married First Nations women  and so the kids were Metis, which means you are half white and half first nations.

Some of the things the kids did were, carved holes in stones with other rocks to make weights for fishing nets, and they helped their Mums and did stuff around the house and milked cows and things.


Here is Hazel holding Ittle, it was really cute. she told us about being taken away to residential school, where she had no rights, she was not even allowed to go to her brothers and sisters if they fell down or cried. She trieds to think more about happiness and hopoe.

No comments:

Post a Comment