Tuesday, February 24, 2015

Girl Guides Badge: "Heritage" by Sophia


  • For my heritage badge I was asked to show I knew about several generations of my family thus the resoning for this family tree.

  • I was also asked: How did you get your name? Find out the meaning of your first, middle or family name. If you could pick your own first name, what would it be? Why? What is a birthstone? Which one is yours?
My name is Sophia Joanna Jubilee Pallister. Sophia means wisdom, Joanna means God is gracious, and Jubilee means celebratory freedom. My mum named me Sophia because it was her favourite name. The reason why my Mum's first name is my second name is because my Mum's side of the family has a naming tradition where the first born son/daughter of the family has their second name be the Mum or Dad's first name. I am called Jubilee because in the bible, every seven years there was a year of rest, where nobody would do their hard, everyday work and every slave was set free and debts were forgiven, and the entire year was one huge party. My parents named me this because I was the 7th grandchild on my mum's side, I was born in my parent's 7th year of marriage, and I was born on August 27th.
If I could choose my own first name it would be either Ever or Kei (pronounced kee).
This is because I think these names are rare, and unique. Just like me. And a birthstone is a mineral or gem representing the month of your birth. I was born in August, so my birthstone is the peridot, witch is a light green gem. 

  • I was asked to: Make a toy, cook a special dish or learn a game, song or dance that your ancestors might have enjoyed.
I made trifle, an English dish with my Granny, that she makes every year at Christmas. It mostly consist of cake, jello, and fruit, whipping cream, custard and sprinkles. She makes a different way from my auntie. It used to be a dish to use up all the leftover dessert ingredients, but now we do it as a family tradition. 


  • Visit or find out about a National Park or National Historic site. Explain why it was created and how it is used today.

Me and Eleanor went to Fort Langley, a national history site that was the place BC was founded.In 1923, the Canadian government designated Fort Langley as a National Historic Site and erected a commemorative plaque near the storehouse. At this time, the site consisted only of the one building and 1-acre (4,000 m2) of land. From 1931 to 1956, the Native Sons and Daughters of British Columbia operated a museum out of the storehouse. Parks Canada took control of the site in 1955, and a joint Federal-Provincial program reconstructed three buildings in time for the centennial of the founding of British Columbia in 1958. In 1978, the site became a national historic park, and has consisted of 8.5 hectares (21 acres) since 1985.
  • Read and aboriginal story (First nations, Metis or Inuit)
I have read two aboriginal stories so far: How Raven Stole The Sun & The Legend Of Lightning And Thunder.
  • Discover a Canadian who has contributed to Canadian culture in the past or present. Create a story, song or poem about this Canadian.

I wrote this haiku about Bill Reid:
Just look at a log
Think about what it could be
Art in the making




  • Visit a museum, historical society, historic building, cemetery or town hall to learn more about your heritage.

It's kind of hard to go somewhere to learn about my personal heritage because i'm mostly british so instead I learned about what aboriginal life was like.

No comments:

Post a Comment