Monday, February 3, 2014

Lego Travel Adventure: Part 1



We were so excited to discover that Science World would be opening a new exhibit Feb. 1 called Lego Travel Adventure. This exhibit was created by the Children's Museum in Indianapolis, IN and they had a whole unit study available on their website.

We've been meeting every Wed morning with our friends Keon and Levi to do the unit study together. http://www.childrensmuseum.org/travel-adventure-teachers

The first unit was called Travel By Land. We read the Dr Seuss story/poem called "Oh The Places You'll GO!". The children took turns guessing aloud how the sentences ended in the story, and then wrote paragraphs about if they could go any where, where they would go.



Sophia: If I could go anywhere, I would go to Italy or Hawaii. If I went to Hawaii, I would take my friends Elias and Mateo, I would bring a bathing suit and lots of sun screen. I would go snorkelling, and I would like to Waikiki to see the hula dancers. I would stay for 3 weeks.

Eleanor: If I could go anywhere, I would go to Paris, France to see the Eiffel tower. I would go for a year, I would take my Mum and my friends. I would pack berets and fancy dresses, a french language guide and a map.

We have already been studying maps this year, so we took time to review some map vocabulary and learned the difference between physical, political and other maps. The children then built Lego vehicles and using their new vocabulary and understanding of physical maps, "drove the maps" trying to consider what kind of terrain they would really be crossing and the kind of vehicles they would need.


No comments:

Post a Comment