Thursday, November 12, 2015

Super-Awesome Science with Eleanor Pallister!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


First of all, speaking of earth science, here is a little bit of art my family did where we painted rocks!



I have a learned a lot about plants this term. I am super, super, super, excited. I think you will be too when you hear I coloured celery! Colouring the celery taught me about water in plants veins. 


 This is me, my friend Miranda and Sophia collecting leaf specimens. We noticed that the leaves could be ver small and point or very big and round.



This is us THROWING leaf specimens!


This is when we were looking at seeds and how seeds travel in little tiny helicopters. (Not real helicopters. They are shaped with sort of a helicopter propellor on them, and spin.) Trees have lots of different ways to spread their seeds and some are with helicopters!


This is a tree which some really odd sap was coming out of, if you look closely you can see on a diagonal slant off my shoulder, you can see sort of a whitish purple blomp of sap. It came out of the tree but but didnt ever drip down far enough so a solid crust formed around it and when you touched it would sort of dent in.



This is a tree which has been uprooted. This was not the only tree which we saw uprooted in our neighbourhood, there were about 3-5 trees we saw like his after the wind storm. The reason why all these trees which which are very supportive was that in the past when we had wind storms, there usually weren't droughts before that. But this summer there was a drought right before the windstorm so all of the roots were dry, and not strong. So that's why when the windstorm came tree branches and trees fell over like crazy. This part where my foot is, is a massive, massive, massive tree root where it just snapped!


This is a nursing tree which I found on a hike I went on.  (Not like milk-nursing, it is called a nursing tree because it gave up it's stump/roots and is giving its nutrients to make a new tree.) So this old tree died and new trees seeds got blown on to it, and the weather made it become a new tree.


This is me with my brownie troop going tree planting! It was so mega-fun! I hung out with all of my friends. The trees were little babies and they were in little pots. There were 3 simple steps to planting the trees. Step 1: take the plant out of the pot. Step 2: take your tree and place it in the hole. Step 3: re-bury the tree, but make sure it is not up to the stem or it will rot and grow moldy and snap and die! We had mega-awesome fun and I even saw a salmon go up stream to lay its eggs. We watched it go upstream 6 times and on the last time it made it! And I got a tree planting t-shirt.






This term I have made a amazing car/rocketship/hippopotamus! In this picture I would like to show you how I used screws and hinges to make a door. In the pictures above you can see the wings of the rocket ship we attached them by gluing and taping them on. We also put on wheels but a few of them are falling off. We haven't finished painting it yet.


The steering wheel was made from a old CD and a toilet paper tube. The gear shift lever is made of a styrofoam ball, and old box and a whole lot of tape! If you can look above the steering wheel, that is the windshield window. We used blue cellophane, and taped it on. it was mega-fun and amazing to do it. 


This is the control panel. it shows so many amazing buttons and things, or if you're low on gas, or honk your horn, or a windshield wiper, though the windshield wiper we made broke. 





They are some birds which I saw outside my front window, they were flying from lawn to lawn to lawn. it was like they all had the same mind! They flew all at the same time from lawn to lawn and up on to telephone lines, to lines. it was a amazing how they did it.






Oh, excuse me! That's not supposed to be on here! Next slide!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment