Friday, May 20, 2016

Eleanor's Grow Your Garden Brownie Badge and Earth Science!

Helllo, it is I, and I am back again, and again, and I am sure I will be back again - good thing you guys like me, and if you don't like me , then stinky that!

Well, now time to get on to my Brownie badge. I had to identify 3 gardening tools and learn how to use them. 

This is the first tool, a small shovel called a trowel. You use it for hand digging, in a garden when you are planting small flowers, peas, seeds or bulbs - stuff like that. Or if you want to, you can pretend to do something dangerous, like I am pretending to do here, to Amy. Oh, this is my neighbour Amy. SHE IS SO CUTE!

This is a gardening fork. You use it to poke little holes in the ground when you are planting seeds. Like tomato seeds , oregano seeds, maybe some basil or bell pepper seeds. (That would be a good Greek salad!)

That is a bush snipper. You may use it to snip a rose bush, or a tree - if you wanted to trim a really baby tree and you didn't want to be growing somewhere you can take the bush snipper and go SNIP!

This is a rake. You rake with it.

This is a bulb which we planted, the bulbs have already bloomed into flowers before we got a picture, and now, they're sort of dead. But we had daff-a-down-dillys (that's what they call daffodils in The Secret Garden) and tulips this year, which grow from bulbs.

And now I'm re-planting the bulbs so they can grow again next year and my mother can exclaim, "oh, they are so beautiful!"

Now we are planting little wildflower seeds. I hope they grow. We planted them all over.

Here I am learning how to do safety clipper things. You have to close the clippers so someone doesn't get hurt accidentally. 

This is us watering the plants after we planted the seeds.

This is me showing rake safety. This is a yes-yes.

This is a no-no.

And this is why.

It would very muchly hurt!

This is Amy showing rake safety.

This is terrarium that I built and I planted seeds in it.

These are the holes that I punched in the bottom so then if I put in too much water, it could go out.

In Grade 3, I am also learning abut erosion, plants, rocks, soil and all that good stuff. Erosion is when either sand, or water, or wind, rub or blow on something and change it's shape by rubbing off the rock over time. For example, Let's say you have a big rock in the middle of the Gobe desert. And then, a big windstorm comes up and blows a whole bunch of sand against the rock. Let's say it was a 5-year-long windstorm (which is unrealistic) but, this is an example, so anything can happen. And then a camel, riding in the windstorm, pulls out a popsicle and gives it to a tiny baby who was suffering in the windstorm - look I told you anything could happen! But seriously, things can really, really wear down over time.


This is my Granny, the best Granny in the world, teaching me all about it.


This is a huge wood sort of waterfall. It is in Goldstream Provincial park in Victoria, BC. It is called Goldstream Park because during the gold rush in BC miners first found there. And BINGO! they got gold. But not a lot.

My Mum thought it was a rock, but I knew it was wood. We were trying to debate if it was a rock, wood, an old tree fallen over or someone suggested maybe it was an old bridge fallen down. I saw this, and I was thinking, "Oh, this has to be erosion!" because the water moving against it for so long had worn it down.

This is the end. Thank you for listening. And I'll be BACK.


1 comment:

  1. Hi Eleanor, I love your safety tips/photos. They are funny. Have your read the book Officer Buckle and Gloria? My kids caught me standing on a swivel chair the other day and they got out the book to SHOW me what I SHOULDN"T be doing.

    ReplyDelete