Thursday, February 11, 2016

Tasty Treats Girl Guide Badge by Sophia


This term I have working on my tasty treats Badge for Girl Guides.

I had to 1) bake two loaves of bread.

I got a book on bread making from my school library and made some delicious white bread it was so yummy it got devoured in a period of two days. Then i baked a second batch and brought some to my Girl Guide meeting so all my friends could have a taste too

2) find a no-cook dessert recipe and try it

A little while ago, I found a good recipe for a fruit smoothie in a cookbook my sister had gotten from the library. I tried this recipe out with my family and it turned out to be very delicious.

3) choose a traditional holiday treat that is meaningful to me and make it for my family.

My sister, my Granny and I made English trifle at Christmastime for my family. There is a recipe for it in the brochure below.



4) discover treats from around the world and develop a recipe book (or in this case, a pamphlet) to share these treats.

Below is the brochure I made of recipes from around the world, including my Granny's English trifle. try some for yourself.



5) Find a recipe for a frozen dessert and try it out with your friends or family.

My brother and my sister and I, made frozen yogurt. It looked a lot like ice cream and tasted like ice cream, but it melted way faster than ice cream. However it was still fun to make.

6) Explore the presentations of desserts in magazines or at restaurants, and try your hand at presenting one yourself.

 I've seen several good food presentations in magazines, cookbooks and cooking shows. One of my favourites was one I saw for vegetable sushi. They used some of the ingredients from inside the sushi on the plate to make the sushi appear more appealing. On another cooking show, I saw an ice cream dessert being presented with crushed cookie crumbs around the edges to "frame" the dish. My friend Miranda, my sister and I made a chocolate peanut-butter banana. For our dessert, we took a banana, cut it up, presented sitting in the peel, prepared two sauces, one chocolate and one peanut butter, then drizzled both slices over the sliced banana and added some to the plate to garnish. Viola! One perfectly presented banana!



No comments:

Post a Comment